Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Quinoa Salad

I'm fairly new to Quinoa ('keenwah'), my best friend introduced me to the wonder seed a while back.  Well I'm hooked!  Here is a simple recipe for a cold quinoa salad that accompanies any meal superbly.  Pair it with chicken, seafood, fish, ribs, smokies, burgers...it goes with anything!


I cook quinoa in my rice cooker, but you can cook it on the stove or in the microwave just as you would rice.  And as you do with rice it's a 2-1 ratio.

1 cup dry quinoa (yields 3 cups once cooked) 2 cups water - turn on rice cooker and forget until done.  I usually cook my quinoa in the morning or the night before and then put it in the fridge to cool down before mixing in veggies

When you are ready to prepare the salad, finely dice:
1/4 cup red pepper
1/4 cup yellow pepper
1/4 cup red onion
1/3 cup whole kernel corn (I just toss in frozen corn)
1/4 cup cilantro (add more to taste)

Now squeeze the juice of 1-2 fresh lemons and 1-2 fresh limes into a bowl, discard any seeds, drizzle fresh juice over quinoa, add veggies and toss.  When you are ready to serve slice one ripe avocado and display on top for presentation.

Enjoy!

No comments: