Friday, August 28, 2009

My Top Fives for Fall '09

I went for a job interview earlier this week. They asked me what I think are a few of the top trends for the upcoming season. I know this, I have been reading and studying Fall '09 trends for the past 4 months and yet my mind froze! So today I'm going to list my top five must haves for Fall/Winter '09:


1) Grungy
aka grey sweat pants and shirts, the 90's
Inspiration: Isabel Marant, Rag & Bone.

Rag&Bone - style.com

Isabel Marant - style.com

This look was introduced to us this summer, but sweats were cut off into shorts paired with sky high heels with tough embellishments and a slouchy blazer. I'm looking forward to carrying this look forward into Fall, I mean who doesn't love to be comfortable? And this look has all the makings for that 'I don't care, but ok, I do care' confidence. It's the fashionistas answer to the suburban house wives Lululemons, only WAY cooler!

Silence and Noise Knit Trousers - UO

American Apparel


2) Killer Boots Man
aka a great pair of flat and heeled lace up boots
Inspiration: Street Style from around the Globe

Crystal W from lookbook.nu

Alexander Wang - style.com

image style.com

I love the tough element a great pair of Black lace up boots adds to any look. I'll be pairing these boots with dresses, ankle length trousers, skirts, shorts, skinny jeans, skinny pants...they just fit with any look!

Swedish Hassbeens Lace up Boots - UO


3) Dresses, Dresses and More Dresses
aka DRESSES
Inspiration: 3.1 Phillip Lim, ACNE, Preen, Alice+Olivia...

3.1 Phillip Lim - style.com

Acne - style.com

I love dresses. I find then easier to wear than pants. Especially because I always have a hard time finding a pair of pants I like to wear more than 3 times (but that's something I'll elaborate on in my next must have). You can always wear a dress. You can dress it up with heels or dress it down with tough boots (see above). A dress solves all problems...really if only life were that simple! I went a bit over board this season; see I work in wholesale and I tend to get discounts on items and can do personal orders. A major perk, although not on my bank account! Anyways I do believe dresses are a must have. Always. And this season my choices range from a LBD perhaps with a strong shoulder, to floral and flowy.

Preen - Net-a-porter.com

Alice and Olivia - net-a-porter.com

Silk T-Shirt Dress - UO


4) Super Skinny Pants
aka Leggings with a fly
Inspiration: Alexander Wang, Helmut Lang, Elizabeth and James


Alexander Wang - style.com

Helmut Lang - style.com

Elizabeth and James - net-a-porter.com

Skinny pants. I'm talking super skinny pants. And I'll admit I was a big fan of the legging. But I have come to terms, the legging is done. And with that, this season the super skinny pant was introduced. Now rest assure, most of these styles have a lot of stretch. I mean they would have to seeing as most of us are not part alien (you know the type, 5'11 and a size 0). And there are so many options; leather, denim, cropped. So replace your leggings with a super stretchy skinny pant and continue wearing all those cute tunics, boyfriend blazers, chunky knits and shirt dresses we still love.


PS I still think the latex/leather legging we all ran out and bought last season should not be retired. And could still be a great substitute for this look.

image Holt Renfrew.com
Rag&Bone, Theory, Tory Burch



5) The 80's
aka sequins, bold shoulders, fur, lace, light denim
Inspiration: Balmain, Haute Hippie, Alexander Wang, Isabel Marant, Marc Jacobs
.

Isabel Marant - style.com

Haute Hippie - shopstyle.com

3.1 Phillip Lim - style.com

Alexander Wang - style.com

I know this last 'must-have' is quite broad, but were the 80's not full of hot broads?! Broads in fur, lace, and sequins. All I have to do is add in a dash of light denim and throw on some shoulder pads and I feel like I'm back in 1986 with my mother back combing my feathered bangs. Hot right?! The point is which ever way you take it and to whatever degree you feel comfortable there is a little piece of the 80's incorporated into numerous looks this season. Pairing hot super skinny pants with a fabulous cropped fur coat, a sparkling sequin dress (I ordered the most fabulous pink and black sequin dress from Inwear) with a cropped light denim jacket and your date ready. I love fall fashion!

marc jacobs - style.com

Balmain - style.com

Spanish Moss Vintage

marc jacobs - style.com

Spanish Moss Vintage

American Eagle.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post... you really covered all the bases. I'm going out to buy a pair of those comfy American Apparel legging-esque pants this weekend. And 3.1 Philip Lim put together an awesome fall collection! His dresses are beautiful... as is that Preen dress... hot.

Anonymous said...

Sooo... I went to American Apparel today to look for those leggings but the salesgirl just gave me a blank look when I asked about them. Granted, the salespeople there aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. Perhaps I'll have to wait awhile or make a trip down south...

Jenn said...

Thanks for the feedback. This post honestly took me about 4hrs to complete! As far as those AA pants go, I thought at first maybe they were not on the Canadian website, but I just checked and they are. Did you try the S.Granville AA? It's much bigger and they usually have more selection then the 4th Ave or Robson locations. I know what you mean about the staff though, I was in there last week and I'm standing at the counter waiting to pay, this chic is staring at me and finally she says 'oh did you want to pay for that?' Ummm not really, but I also don't feel like committing a criminal offense this morning!